This unique workshop will cover every element of making a painting: from stretching, sizing and priming a canvas to making oil paint from scratch.
The first day of the workshop will cover:
- Stretching a canvas
- Making and applying size
- Making paint from scratch
- Painting on a ground
- Working from a still life
- Developing compositional ideas through drawing
- Applying oil paint to your canvas
- Understanding different viscosities and drying times.
Using the still life as a motif, the second day will be spent working on your painting and exploring how these traditional techniques can be used from a contemporary perspective.
By learning these traditional techniques and how to make everything by hand, students on this workshop have the opportunity to gain a deeper relationship to the materials used.