If you are thinking of full-time study in the visual arts, then Leith School of Art’s Foundation Course is an exceptional starting point. Unique in Scotland, the course is diagnostic, helping each student find their own direction. Guided by our artist tutors, students build up a specialised portfolio for application to degree courses in the UK and internationally.
Why Choose Us?
- With four full days in the studio and one day outside the School per week, the course is intensively taught and is the ideal springboard into Further/Higher education.
- With a high staff/student ratio, the course delivers personal, high quality tuition to each student. There are five tutors teaching on the course, all specialising in different disciplines, catering to all of our students needs.
- Tutors are practicing artists and make the content of the course relevant to today’s art world.
- 95% success rate for entry to degree courses at top colleges and universities across the UK, Europe and worldwide, gaining places in all major disciplines including Fine Art, Fashion, Illustration, Film, Architecture and Theatre Design.
- Core materials and portfolio preparation materials are included in the fees.
- There is a residential trip in the first term.
- Students have the opportunity to experience a range of subjects, including sculpture, fashion, jewellery and installation work as well as drawing and painting. This helps students to narrow down and focus on a chosen discipline and build a portfolio to suit their application to further education.
- Students have access to facilities for printmaking, sculpture, jewellery, and textiles, as well as a suite of computers.
- Contextual studies lectures are held weekly to add depth and scope to students’ knowledge of art and design.
- The School has extensive knowledge of art and design degree courses and tutors advise students on where best to study and how to navigate the application system, UCAS and submission of digital portfolios.
- Destinations include Edinburgh College of Art, The Glasgow School of Art, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design, The Ruskin School of Drawing, Central Saint Martins, Chelsea College of Arts, London College of Fashion and Brighton College of Art.
Course Terms and Conditions